> >One thing that immediately jumps out at me is your POST line.
> >HTTP spec doesn't include the entire URL in the POST, only the
> >path info. So this:
> >   POST http://xyz.xyz.com/1.cfm HTTP/1.0
> >should actually be:
> >   POST /1.cfm HTTP/1.0
> >   Host: xyz.xyz.com
>
> do you know of a resource for something like this? I would
> like to verify
> my GET requests also

Try RFC 2616.  That's the HTTP/1.1 spec, so you can't get much more
definitive than that.  It's a bit of a tome (200ish pages), but if
you're writing even a simple HTTP agent, it's really required
reading.  It also points out more information on assorted other
resources like MIME & URL encoding.

That RFC can be found at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt.

> >There's no Content-Type header in your request.  Try adding:
>
> bingo. I added that (even with all my other oops), and it
> worked. thanks :)

You're quite welcome!

> >Your POST data isn't URL encoded.  For the body of your HTTP
> >request, try:
> >date_id=2000%2D09%2D21
>
> I will actually be receiving the data encoded already. Thanks
> for pointing this out though..

OK.  That's definitely one thing that will give CF indigestion...
(*burp!*)

> >I think among those three things, you should be able to get a
> >successful POST.  CF is a far more picky beast than Perl is,
> >unfortunately...
>
> I am much more use to PERL (and PHP now) when CF. At least I
> know what is going on in them :)

*nods*  In general, CF is just picky.  As long as you follow the RFC,
you should be okay.

BE AWARE, however that CF disregards the RFC itself in a few spots.
Namely it doesn't use CR/LF to delimit all of its headers as it
should.  Tags like CFContent, CFHeader, or anything else that
manipulate the returned headers sometimes use an LF only; even tho
the RFC specifies that CF/LF is REQUIRED.  That's something to be
aware of if you'll be parsing returns from CF.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell