On 10/10/05, Ken Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> None of that has anything necessarily to do with Serv-U itself. By your
> logic, there are thousands of quality apps you should steer clear of for
> no good reason. I went to work on a new client's server and found that
> there was an instance of qmail installed without their knowledge sending
> out spam. Should we all steer away from qmail because of that or should
> we assume that the moron who set up the server didn't secure it
> properly??? Oh wait, I know -- maybe I should put some real thought into
> switching my firewall out if it's a flavor preferred by hackers? Damn,
> you know I'm going to have to reinstall my server OS too, as I'm running
> Linux which, as we all know, is really "popular with the hacker crowd."
> Unfortunately, I'll have to find a different browser to use on the 'net
> too, because every time I'm on a windows box, I use Firefox and I've
> heard that most hackers prefer that over IE when they're stuck on a
> windows machine.
>
> It just seems like a pretty poorly-though-out thing to say, doesn't it?

If you interpreted it as such, that's fine.

But when one specific product is overwhelmingly targeted by hackers,
and there are other alternatives available (some of 'em even free),
then I think it would be pretty poorly thought out to not (at the very
least) take it into consideration.

If I have the choice of 'product A' or 'product B', and product A is
documented as being overwhelmingly targeted by hackers, I think that
should be a factor in my decision.  But hey, to each their own and
all.

--
Charlie Griefer

"...All the world shall be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies,
and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch
you, digger, listener, runner, prince with a swift warning.
Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."