At 07:29 PM 26/09/00 -0300, you wrote:
>I need a little help here guys and gals..how would you cost this project?
>
>To develop 3 websites that will be linked by one user database, offer items
>on sale across all three sites, again coming from a single inventory. Things
>like items on Special, weekly discounts..membership, User Polls.

a shopping cart with three faces. You can buy them.

>a system whereby news articles on teh sites can be updated by people without
>any HTML knowledge....and all of the above must be managed with a browser
>based interface.

a content management system, like Spectra or Vignette. This can be written
in days in CF
if your client wants it very simple.

>The implementation of mailing lists for all three sites, weekly newsletters
>and of course the ongoing maintenance of all of these.

You can just pay for these services.

>This seems like a very hefty undertaking to me, depending on how complex the
>client wants to go with it...
>but, how would you folks price a project like this if you were doing it?
>
>I don't want to sell myself short, neither do I want to price myself out of
>the range of the client :-\

Investigating these three points should give you a mix of time and money that
might give your client a point to start from.