Joe,

> use a clumsy workaround for testing which browser people are on

To make sure that all browsers can see Flash you have to use
non-standard HTML.  Either that or if you really really want your HTML
to validate, you can use messy JavaScript to inject the HTML.

> hoping ActiveX is enabled on IE

That's a moot point: you've got to hope the same thing for Flash, or you
won't get that either.

> that any new browsing stuff people use supports it

True, but the majority of modern browsers correctly implement the
appropriate standards.  And those that don't *cough*IE*cough* have
proven workarounds.  And if you build your AJAX application on a
suitable abstraction layer (such as Prototype) then you can bet that
support will be available sharpish, or you can make the changes
yourself.

> that they're not on a mobile (hi, Flash Lite!).

Now you've got me on that one, but all AJAX implementations should have
a fall-back mode for those clients that don't support JavaScript anyway
(unless you know that the clients accessing it are controlled, such as
on an intranet), and a new stylesheet will see you good.

For our team at least, using an AJAX solution to a problem over Flash
has a number of advantages (at least for our team):

 - all code can be source controlled, diff'd and quickly deployed
   without any need for building [I like the pretty colours on the
   Trac diff tool ;) ]

 - CF developers can understand JS and get up to speed with it to
   allow quick development.  Flash authoring is another kettle of
   fish entirely;

 - it's much easier for our development team to to make a quick
   change to a JS file than to get a Flash developer to make the
   change and make the new build, test and deploy;

 - We have more CF developers than Flash/ActionScript developers,
   so any development/maintenance etc is easier/quicker with an
   AJAX solution.

 - debugging an AJAX application is a (relatively) simple task if
   you've just one developer.  When you throw in a Flash developer
   it becomes much more complicated.  Yes, you should have unit
   testing, but it still happens...

Of course, these sort of restrictions will be removed once Flex 2 comes
out, but at the moment an AJAX solution is preferable to a full Flex
licence!  And if you can control exactly who's using the site and with
what, then even better!

Tim.

Badpen Tech - CF and web-tech: http://tech.badpen.com/
    RAWNET LTD - independent digital media agency
    "We are big, we are funny and we are clever!"
     New site launched at http://www.rawnet.com/
This message may contain information which is legally
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of this information is strictly prohibited. Such
notification notwithstanding, any comments, opinions,
information or conclusions expressed in this message
are those of the originator, not of rawnet limited,
unless otherwise explicitly and independently indicated
by an authorised representative of rawnet limited.