I'd use them only where there is a proven necessity.  I.e. where the
performance gains (demonstrated by load testing) are worth the
trouble, or the security concerns are such that there's no other way.

SPs move your business logic out of your application and into the
database, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does split the
code, which can make maintenance harder.  Careful design can mitigate
most of that concern, of course, but it's still added complexity that
shouldn't be brought on yourself for no good reason.

Single queries, in particular, ought never to be converted to SPs
unless it's a security concern, if you ask me.  The performance isn't
going to be any greater, since you still have to pass the recordset
back to CF and let it create a CF query object.

cheers,
barneyb