From: Pete Ruckelshaus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2005 12:16 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Philosophy Q: SP's or CFQUERY?

I'm going back and tweaking a web app that I'm building and have learned
a few stored procedure tricks (my SP skills were pretty basic before I
started to play around).  As a result, I'm replacing a number of CF
queries (using cfqueryparam) with SQL Server stored procedures.
Now, these are pretty much limited to the customer-facing (non-admin)
pages, though I'm using SP's in the admin where I already have them
written to return the rest sets that I need.

Realizing that SP's will give greater performance, the question is
this: Is it OK to write your most frequently run queries as SP's and
leave the rest of the site as straight SQL queries?  Or should I just
make the entire site SP's?

What I've been doing during development is writing straight SQL until I
get what I need, then I rewrite as a SP.  I've replaced a dozen or so
queries that are all on the customer-facing end of things, but there are
well over 100 queries still written as SQL on the admin side, and it
would take a bit of effort to convert (or merge into existing SP's)
those queries.

Pete