On 11/10/05, Bryan Stevenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) On the surface...DAMN!  Sure could be better than CF for RAD

Yes, the first impressions of RoR are usually "Wow!".

> 2) Demo was WAY too simple (basic blog).  I'd bet that if you had conditional
> form validation (i.e. start date must be before end date), then Ruby starts
> to fall down (as it seems to derive form validation from data types and
> constraints).

As JPA pointed out, you can do all of that BUT you have to write code to do it.

> So....for those that have used or looked further into RoR....how does it
> stack up when you have to build something other than a basic web app like a
> blog/cart/webmail/etc.??  Does development take longer as you need to "tweak"
> things from the basic functionality?

Well... Yes, the more complex your app, the more code you have to
write. I wrote up my experience of installing it and running through
some tutorials:

http://corfield.org/blog/index.cfm/do/blog.entry/entry/Ruby_on_Rails__Part_I

I'll be writing up more in due course, as and when I get some of that
elusive "free time".

First off, ActiveRecord works magic *if* your database tables match
Rails' protocols (table naming, primary key naming etc). If your
database doesn't match, you have to write mapping information into
your objects (no big deal in and of itself but the start of a slope).
You have to explicitly tell RoR about the relationships between the
tables (and the foreign key fields need to follow Rails' protocol too
- unless you want to write mappings for those).

Then there's the basic CRUD scaffolding. Yes, it auto-generates the
bare bones add / show / edit / delete / list UI for you but if you
want to change anything, you need to start editing forms and modifying
the controllers.

So, to get a quick'n'dirty prototype up takes next to no time and that
*is* impressive.

I personally have concerns about the scalability of RoR (in terms of
application complexity as well as raw performance) but there are some
sites that get a reasonable amount of traffic that seem to run just
fine on RoR - I suspect they're not really doing anything particularly
complex and I don't think their traffic is high enough that I would
expect to see problems. My opinion.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Got frameworks?