scaffolding.

Given that it takes a single shell/DOS command to do this, I think its
fairly productive.  I don't think it'll be too long before someone
writes some GUI tools for simplifying this step further.

> If you want a nicely formatted page / form, you need to write it
> yourself since the defaults are ugly ass tables that don't
> really let you tweak them easily with CSS.

That is one definite problem, even the Agile-Rails book delves fairly
quickly into rewriting the default output as DIVs.

> PLUM does a lot more auto-generation so it's bound to be faster and
> I suspect the generated code is easier to modify visually.

True, until RoR gets some (more) GUI tools it will lag in this arena.

> However, my voiced concerns about scalability (of applications) in
> regard to RoR also apply to PLUM. The automation in both of these
> 'products' targets a specific type of data-entry application - a very
> common one, granted, but still a specific problem space. Once you get
> beyond that core problem space, you are back to writing code.

You might like to look into SwitchTower:
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/articles/2005/10/19/introducing-switchtowe
r-distributed-deployment-for-rails

There are lots of sites out there that receive lots of traffic and have
lots of data, e.g.:
http://news.com.com/Ruby+on+Rails+chases+simplicity+in+programming/2100-
1007_3-5920169.html?tag=nefd.lede
http://www.basecamphq.com/
and http://cdbaby.com/ is currently undergoing a rewrite from PHP to
RoR.

Having said all that, you should keep an eye on what Mike Ritchie is
working on...

Damien