I usually don't like to pay for stuff but Alagad was worth the money,
I tried all of the free solutions and Alagad simply worked the best
for image resizing and thumbnailing. Massimo's tag is also very good
but the quality of the resize wasn't all that great when the original
images were very (very) large. If you have decent sized images (800 x
600) tmt_img might just do the trick.

HTH