We store ours in a CF struct:

DSN = StructNew();
DSN.Source = ""
DSN.Username = ""
DSN.Password = ""

And then we use that in the queries. We put that in a file that starts with
an "_" and then we deny any access to files that start with an "_" so people
can access it by some means.

My boss is a stickler for security and he is cool with it. Just make sure
you never dump it out to screen anywhere and you should be good. We have
never had a problem.

You could maybe go further if you are worried and make then private
variables inside a DSN coldfusion component. That way, they wouldn't even be
able to be seen in a dump. Then use getters for values: DSN.GetSource(),
DSN.GetPassword(), etc.

But that is probably overkill.

Ben Nadel
Web Developer