I figured I'd move this to cf-talk and hear some comments=2E Anyone care t=
discuss=3F

Original Message:
-----------------
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:47:00 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Needed: A Contractor or Two

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Doug Hughes [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:21:31 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>No clothes=3F! How dare you say that! I'm not naked! My clothes are me=
rely
>very very thin=2E =20

Fair enough=2E :)

>My "client" contacted me yesterday in the evening to see if I could help
>him=2E I can't=2E I'm too busy=2E We had a 1/2 hour phone conversation=
and I
>got a gist of what he wants=2E=20
>
>Based on that gist I sent an email to cf-jobs to try to help my "client"
>find the right person for his needs=2E =20

Ah=2E ok=2E :) Makes sense=2E

>The reason I said "intimate" details is because I get emails like this:
>I'm hoping that "intimate" detail will result in, perhaps, a few
informative
>paragraphs=2E Honestly, I make most of my decisions based on cover lette=
rs=2E
>If the person sounds intelligent I read their resume=2E If not, I
don't=2E=

>Actually, usually the person has provided the real information I want to
see
>in their cover letter=2E The resume is filler=2E

Good point=2E Most experience I've had with cover letters has been negativ=
(People don't tend to read them)=2E I know my cover letter doesn't express=
my
knowlege of coldfusion very well simply because I'm not a good writter in
the sense that I write things that are engaging and enjoyable to read=2E G=
ive
me a technical document request though and I'm all over that mutha=2E :)

>Regarding the rate, most developers have a standard rate=2E I do=2E Thi=
s is
no
>different than a typical full time job listing asking for your salary
>requirements=2E If you don't want to provide this yet, go ahead and tell=
me,
>but explain why=2E I'm happy to listen=2E

I'd feel unconfortable providing it to anyone for a simple reason=2E=2E

Why does what some job I had before paid me have any revelance to the job
you are recruiting for=3F

You could say I'm to expensive=2E Well, it's possible that my last job pai=
me 100,000 for a job that lasted me 1 month=2E However, that was them=2E T=
his
is you=2E perhaps my last job paid me $8/hr=2E Does that mean that I am no=
worth much or does that mean that I got massive benefits (Full medical,
dental, 401k, stocks, company car, promise to hire on full time, private
lear jet, etc=2E)=2E

Asking salary on a specific job is not feasable because it depends=2E I (a=
nd
most of the CF programmers that I know) adjust their rate based on the
following factors (and others)=2E=2E=2E

1) How hard will this be to do=3F
2) How long will this take me=3F
3) Is this Telecommuting or on-site=3F
4) Is there any benefits (mentioned above)=3F
5) Will programs be offered or services be provided to help with the work
or will I be expected to use my own tools=3F
6) Is the person I'm working for a hands-off manager or is he a pointy
haired boss=3F
7) How desperite am I for work=3F

It's a balancing act=2E Yeah, the work may be hard (causing my rates to go=

up), but if it's a year long project and I can telecommute and they are
offering benefits, my expected pay goes way down because of things besides=

salary=2E

So, besides my old salary not being an issue, it's kind of impossible for
me to give you an accurite bid for the project because I don't know much
about it=2E

Can I safely say that I'd be willing to work for 10/hr=2E - 100,00/hr=2E
(Private jet optional) :)=3F

http://mail2web.com/ .