Application.cfm is a file that runs on every cfm page.

Anything you do that should be done on every page can be moved to the
application file.

If you want to keep the display code separate from the logic, use an
include or a tag to display it, but feel free to put it in there.

I see no reason to clutter every page of a site with something that
can be done once in a single file.

Once the "something" becomes conditional (not on every page), then you
need to decide how much conditional code you want to run in the
application file.

But site-wide headers and footers, and even logging, make good sense
in the Application/OnRequestEnd.

IMHO.