I've only been using CF for a little over a year at work and at home.  Just
a disclaimer. :)

My response would be that if you have a fairly large application where it is
important to keep your action and content code separate, then it is well
worth the time to learn and deploy Fusebox.  With a healthy application of
Fusebox and CSS, it's possible to keep 99% of your action, query, content,
and display(styles) code separate.  You'd be able to apply all the headers,
footers, siders, upers and downers you wanted without messing with
Application.cfm.  Clearly though, with already-active 2400 page intranet,
that's not a feasable suggestion.  Sorry. :(

I usually cringe when I hear about people coding a certain way "because it
works."  That is what makes the W3C cry itself to sleep every night.  But in
this case, you're not breaking any official standards, per se, only a vague
standard that other coders have imposed on themselves.  And Adobe isn't
likely to change the functionality of Application.cfm any time soon.  So I
say go for it. :)