From: Mike Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:06 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: cf open shopping cart

Well I for one was watching this project kick off with interest.
Initially I saw it as an opportunity for me to contribute something back to
the community that has been so good to me over quite a few years now.   I
thought I would gain from it because it would also be good for me to be
involved in a collaborative project, because I do nearly everything by
myself these days.      I know I have some expertise in some aspects of this
project, and nearly no expertise in other aspects so I thought I could
contribute as well as learn.

So i was about to put my hand up and say I'll dive in and help.

Then the bickering started.  Back and forth about what it was going to be,
and what it was going to do. First it was going to be like this,  then like
that,  then like something else, without anyone offering a clear idea
of what it was going to be.   "uh oh," I said to myself  "this looks just
like <x - a nighmare of a project I was involved in years ago> and it'll be
ages before anyone gets anywhere with it."     I was about to suggest a
functional spec, when someone else pooh-poohed the use of CFCs.   Someone
said they didnt want to use this new-fangled CFC stuff.    They wanted to
write the shopping cart using more conventional procedural code.     To be
frank I saw this as adding nothing to the cf community.   there is already
an excellent procedural shopping cart thanks to Ben Forta in the CFWACK and
quite frankly I dont see what you could do in an open source cart that
wasn't already there in the book, and which I've already used, adapted and
modified several times.

I didnt say anything at the time because most of the participants seemed to
like that approach.  Rather than try to rain on the parade, I put my hand
back down and  decided to go my own way.  If you guys want to build a new
procedural shopping cart, good luck to you, I'll be standing there
applauding when and if it's finished.

However if anyone wants to take this project in a different direction, I am
more than willing to put my shoulder to the wheel.    But I'd say there has
to be a few things different:

   - someone  has to be elected, appointed or self-appointed as the
   project leader (look at the success of the model-glue project - due in no
   small part to the fact that Joe Rinehart has put his personal goolies on
the
   line and has taken charge of it)
   - There has to be a clear definition of what the project is for.  I'm
   afraid, "open source shopping cart" doesnt cut it.  There are already
   several that if not free are close to it.   Most people either have
CFWACK
   or know someone who has and there have ready access to how to build a
   procedural shopping cart..    What's going to be different about this
one?

>From these two things will flow a proper functional spec and a direction to
the project.   At this point, since I havent been following the details of
the project, you may well have defined the project, but I havent seen it, so
I cant offer my help.

I'll be glad to add whatever skills and energy I have that might contribute
to an open source shopping cart if it's going to be a project that works.
And if it's going to add something new to the world.   Just another 'me too'
shopping cart isnt worth the effort, except that it gives the contributors
experience and new skills.  And to put it bluntly, I'm interested in
developing my skills in the use of CFCs and OOP, not just redoing something
I've been doing for eight years now.

And that fact that you're lashing about Dave, tells me this project is a
mess right now.  It needs an objective that will inspire people to be
involved.   The CFEclipse project has inspired it's contributors because
they saw deficiencies in the existing tools and figured they could do a
better one.  I reckon if they'd started out saying "lets build a development
tool that's like notepad with a couple of other features" it would have gone
nowhere.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month