> Yes, it was bad design, but nevertheless a design.  This is
> how they meant for things to be.  They though it was a good
> idea...
>
> This is why it's not a security patch that forces this upon
> everyone (as a recent security fix that rebooted half of the
> computer around the world).
> It was bad design, and it was fixed with an optional script
> that you can run if it really bothers you.

The recent security fix that you mention was also caused by a bad, but
intentional, design. The Windows Metafile format specified the ability to
execute code in specific cases. That functionality, by design, was included
within the libraries responsible for processing WMF files, back in the
Windows 3.x days. The vulnerability simply took advantage of the looseness
of this design. One could argue that the design was not so bad when it was
created, since Windows 3.x was not intended to be used on large, untrusted
networks. But outside that narrow context, it was certainly a bad design.

I disagree with your implication that the existence of a patch is the only
indicator that a security problem exists.

> It's similar to telling your router/firewall not to respond
> to ping requests.  Some people don't want to let the world
> know that there is a computer at that ip.  Some people would
> rather be able to ping themselves from the outside, or don't
> care.  It's not a major security issue.

No one said it was a major security issue. It is still a security issue,
just the same. Information disclosure often precedes more serious attacks.
An attacker might use all sorts of information sources - DNS queries, port
scans, EDGAR lookups, WHOIS lookups, and so on - to figure out plans of
attack.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/