From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:59 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Encrypt CC number and store in DB

> What's the best way to encrypt a CC number and store it in DB?

The "best way" is really a business question - what's the best way for one
company may not be best for another. My answers below emphasize security
above convenience, but that might not be the choice you want to make.

Ideally, it's best not to store it at all.

If you must store it, you shouldn't allow the same application to encrypt
and decrypt the number. For example, using PKI you could have your ecommerce
application encrypt the number, and a private internal application on a
separate machine could then decrypt it.

Choosing an algorithm is much less important than figuring out how you'll
manage keys. It doesn't matter how strong your encryption algorithm is, if
an attacker can get all the keys from one place. This is the big problem
with symmetric encryption, of course.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/