All,
I don't use session variables at all, but this might a good time to use
them.

I have a search page that takes in a search term, runs a query and then
displays the results. The user is allowed to click into a result and then
page through the search resultset while in a result (via Previous/Next
controls). Since I don't store the query results anywhere, I basically run
that query every single time that the user presses Previous or Next (just so
that I can find out where the user is while s/he is paging through and what
the previous and next results are.) For an intensive search (which this is
turning out to be), this means every time that the user does anything with
the resultset, I am running a 4 or 5 second operation. Highly inefficient, I
suspect.

How do I cache the query results? Is a session variable the best option? I
guess cookies would not be bad, but they are limited in the amount they can
hold. How do people tackle this problem anyway?

Thanks,
George