Ken, consider it this way....   Suppose for the sake of argument that Adobe
decided that CF wasnt really the kind of product they could make the most
of.   They wouldn't just abandon it.   It has a value, has a revenue stream.
It has a customer base and has plenty of developers building in it.

If Adobe didnt want it (and I also agree its far more likely they want to
use CF to take Adobe into areas they couldnt get to before)  they would be
much more likely to sell it off as a business to someone else.  There would
be lots of options in this area - a management buyout, sale to a competitor,
sale to another company wanting to move in the server direction.     If they
sold ColdFusion to someone else,  it would still be a viable option for your
site. Whoever did buy it would want to make it grow and develop.  As an
Adobe product or as someone else's,  ColdFusion is good for us all.

It would only be a disaster for your OP If Adobe said 'that's it!
ColdFusion is dead - we're writing off our investment in it and will provide
no more support for it. And it's not for sale to anyone else either".    I
think that's about as likely as George W Bush appearing in a pink tutu for
the next State Of the Union address.   And even in that unlikely event,
there's Blue Dragon who have already said if Adobe didnt want coldfusion
they'll be there saying "Me Me Me Me Let ME have it!!!!!!"

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month