Rick...

I took a close look at the provided images and they get better in quality as
you scroll downwards, with the third one being the best quality. Places to
look include any area containing a sharp color transition. The area around
each of the turrets is a perfect example. This is generally where you're
going to get artifacts and imperfect pixelation.

In the largest image using explicit JPG compression the artifacting around
the turrets is almost invisible to the naked eye.

The truth though lies in the image size. Here's the file size for each of
them:

Original: 547,549

LARGE
Nearest: 107,395
Bicubic: 107,395
Explicit: 716,705

SMALL
Nearest: 5,580
Bicubic: 5,566
Explicit: 28,309

So while the final image looks better, it's because less image data is being
thrown away. The best test would be to get the quality of image generated by
the explicit code as close as possible to the other two then check for file
size.

andy matthews
web developer
ICGLink, Inc.