While we're on the subject, will one of you framework experts clear
something up for me?

I work on an Intranet application that leverages data from a few huge
databases, some of the tables contain millions of records.  The queries
we need to write to gather data can be very complex, often times in the
hundreds of lines.  Something I've often heard in the framework
discussions is that you guys use these DAO thingies to simplify access
to your data.  I have always doubted that a DAO would be useful for my
scenario, because our data queries are often very complex.

Here are the two big reasons I've heard people cite for using a DAO:
1. Abstraction of your database
2. Caches the data
Sure, we /could/ use a DAO, but it would be very specific to the one
report it is used for.  What's the point of using an object if you only
need it one page?  Also, I really don't want the millions of records
that would be filtered sitting in memory on my server.  The whole reason
databases were created in the first place was so that you don't /have/
to carry data around in your applications, you just grab the pieces you
need, when you need them.  Caching makes sense if you have a user table
with a couple hundred records, but when you are querying a financial
ledger that contains millions of rows, I'm not sure I'd want to
pre-cache the data.

I realize I may be butchering things here, as I've never used a
framework.  So please don't take this as an attack, but rather as an
attempt to understand the benefits of frameworks, and how they could
help me.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please
immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you. A1.