For updating them it seems like a simple merge query would work fine enough,
update if exists or it inserts if not.  I have a series of custom functions
I use in the database that help me deal with the need to do things like
return a list of user permissions from a cross table.  So in this case my
function returns a comma seperated list of permissions, would be the same as
doing a ValueList() in CF on the query results though.