Because I can search on a specific value in the list.  An example might be
if I had a Property record and related to it are zero to many product
segments.  If I want to find all properties that have ABC product segment
and I stored my product segments as a comma seperated list in my table then
I would have a decently hard time looking for this.  I say decently because
I also have a set of functions that will convert a comma separated list to a
table result, but they use up more resources and something I typically just
use for parsing in data.  Now if I store my Product segment to Property
relationship in another table then I can just add to my where clause
something like WHERE LKP.PRODSEGID = {Unique ID for ABC Product Segment}  My
query still just returns one row of data, which contains all the columns for
the property record and one that is a comma separated list of product
segments and those lists all have one occurence of ABC in them.

 I suppose you could do a query that looked for LIKE '%,ABC,%'  as well as
LIKE 'ABC,%'  as well as = 'ABC'  as well as LIKE '%,ABC'