I do what I can to condense the process, get as many elements out of my
"Slices" as i can but that I mentioned before is what i'm using and it's
effective, but time entensive. I haven't been able to export layers without
adding whitespace around the layer in photoshop, haven't tried it in
fireworks but for the most part these elements are not all on the same
layer.

Lets try this... you have a boarder of an image as an example. of course
this boarder has a drop shadow... what a pain that is. not your normal drop
shadows but the faded types... I place line guides exactly where the image
would be, and then another set about where the fade dies out. If your lucky
you can use a normal pain background color around this and keep the design
in-tack. I then of course perform the normal replacement of background
images where they might extend vertical or horizontal around the image or
other element if this is the case. etc...