Yes, there is a reason.  Your version would retrieve any value that
contained a 5 without respect to the list delimiters.  Since, with
SQL, there's no good way to parse/evaluate a list this is the only
option that will properly limit the results.

I don't think anyone would argue that it's inefficient and generally
something to be avoided (vigorously), but sometimes you just have to
handle what you've got.  Ben's code is the only way I can think of to
handle what Patrick's got.