Thank you

Andy this works great. Thank you.

I removed the 0 and now I get random 6 digit hex values that do not contain
Zeros. As the numbers are generated I'll check them against the values that
exist in the DB before adding them to the db to ensure uniqueness.

I could have used UUID, but the length was overkill. I could have used
listfirst() and pulled the first 8 characters and had it not been for Andy's
solution I would have gone that way. So thank you form bringing up the use of
UUID.

This will be used for a project for my 5 year old daughter (ok at daddy's
urging).  Today is her birthday.  I have rented a helium tank for a year.
Everyday we are going to launch balloons with a plastic easter egg attached to
them.

Inside the egg will be a laminated piece of paper with the 6 digit registration
number, a website address and directions to register when and where the balloon
was found.

The registration number will be used as a unique id to tie the found data with
the launch informaiton, when the balloon was launched, where, time of day,
weather conditions, wind information, etc...

It will be fun for her to make meet other people and see were they live in
comparison to where the balloon was launched.  Initially for her it will be
about people finding her balloons and making friends.

I wouldn't mind keeping this up for god only knows how long. Then as she gets
into science classes etc.. she can use the data for school projects...

I am hoping to use google maps to show the locations of where the balloons were
launched and found.  But I've not started on the piece yet.