Well, it wasn't easy, at first.  I'd like to take a moment and thank you for
posting what you'd accomplished, it helped get me up and running.

With all the nifty class loaders and such it isn't quite as difficult...
funny you'd mention the fact that it's built into CF now (actually, it has
been in there for a while, I just noticed they updated from the dori. to the
net.sf a while back (when suddenly ^JR stopped working.;))  they must have
added it when they added cfdocument, neh? It would be nice if they
contributed back the code for HTML > PDF. Not that I'm one to talk,
obviously.  You won't find a blog entry documenting my experiences. :-)

I like the fine grained control... and iReport is much better with every
release, which is quite often- AND it works on various platforms, unlike the
current CF report designer.

Subreports and whatnot have come a long way as well, it looks pretty easy
(if you know some java ;) to pass them as variables and whatnot, even.  I
don't use them tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

If what you're really about is reports, it's a swell app. And the fact that
it's all XML makes it pretty easy to create stuff on the fly, then you can
save the compiled report for caching.  And ^JR seems much faster at large
reports than CF.  I'm kind of keen on the idea of the
ussrp.sourceforge.netproject as well (which is runnable on JRun with
some tweaking).

You are totally right tho, not something for a newbie to try, unless you're
up for a challenge. It does make you feel so good to see those freaking
reports finally working tho... oh yeah... feels good. I really like the RTF
generation as well- when CF can render a web page as an RTF, that will make
some stone age people I know very happy.  Not an oft requested feature I
bet...

I think Rick has the right idea... download the trial/developer versions,
write up a test report similar to what you'd want to run, and test it out.
Know that settings such as the heap size and whatnot will effect performance
as well, 'specially with large reports.

You won't beat the ease of doing PDF generated reports in CF, it's quite
swell. I'll use a web based report and just wrap it in a cfdocument tag
(maybe use a little CSS to format it).  Which, BTW, you won't be able to do
if you do install ^JR (without renaming it).

As a side note, watching the FLEX chart demos made me kind of happy. Now
that's a slick interface for reports.