For what it's worth, I've seen this when:

1.  I've set the max heap size greater than 1024 (on Windows)
2.  I've edited the JVM arguments using the CF Administrator
3.  I've created a new instance with a new service and specified an
invalid jvm.config file

I don't know if any of these conditions apply to what you all are
seeing, but that's been my experience.  If none of these scenarios
apply, then I would ask whether the service has always failed to
stop/start or whether this is a recent development.  If recent, then
what has changed?