On 4/19/06, Andy Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow...
>
> What a great conversation!
>
> Here's what I want to accomplish in my testing of RoR. I want to be able to
> view the parsed files in my local dev setup, currently using XAMPP.

Not sure what you mean by "parsed files". Ruby is interpreted.... if
you mean the files that are _generated_ by the command lines scripts
in Ruby (or the RadRails GUI or what have you), then they're right
there in your app directory.

Running Ruby in a server environment requires cgi, fastcgi, scgi or
the like. If you're comfortable with XAMPP, then you might want to
look at InstantRails -- it's based on the XAMPP distro (and even
includes PHP4 and MySQL) and gives you, well, and Instant Rails
environment that does not interact with the rest of your system.

I really
> would prefer NOT having to start the Ruby server, just a preference there I
> guess. The whole point of me wanting to learn a new language/structure is to
> try and save time, not spend it.

No problem, but it's *far* easier when you're learning to use the
webbrick server (Ruby server) instead of dealing with fastcgi/etc
(*especially* on Windows). If you're on Windows, InstantRails is your
fastest path while Locomotive gets you running quickly on OSX.

--
John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint