Thanks for the info, Dan.  We have projects in the queue to move to
categories, but like all queues, we won't get to it until we get to it
(or until someone makes is a /much/ bigger priority than it is right
now).  I was hoping to find a quick fix.  I'll take a look at what I
have in the way of locks and any of your other suggestions.

Thanks again.