One book I found really helpful was "Just Java 2"
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130105341/qid=1147801102/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-1094486-3133417?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Readable, really discusses the concepts of OOP and I found it really
easy to follow and understand.  Java-centric, of course, but a good
read.