One book I would thoroughly recommend is:

Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and
Design and the Unified by Craig Larman.

There are a number of facets to understand about OO programming such as
inheritance/encapsulation etc. But the most difficult aspect of all is
identifying the objects you need (assigning responsibilities) in a way which
will ensure that moving forward your application is easier to maintain.

Don't be put off by the title, the book provides a way of approaching the
process of identifying the objects you need and provides an introduction to
UML along the way.

During the middle it discusses the application of design patterns and it is
at this point I think you could do with the Head first book (which is a
great book) to supplement your knowledge of them.

HTH

Kola