MMA Eric!

On 6/5/06, Eric Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually...things are quite the opposite with many developers also working
> from home.  Most of the time we don't have access to the data locally from
> db's that are either at the company's site or at their host.  That is why
> ftp is important.  I do a lot of consulting work where I am not at the
> client's site on a regular basis...sometimes even completely doing it from
> home.

They shouldn't be quite the opposite (if you ask me, but I'm just some
dude).
SVN lets you have a local repository.  Most DBs make it pretty easy to
synchronize subsets of data, so there's no reason not to have some locally.

And if you're FTPing stuff, you do know that it's all in plain text, and
that
FTP is one of the worst standards for file transfer?  Every freaking FTP
server does it it's own way. Real easy to code for, neh?

All that data you're sending to your clients is basically in plain view
for anyone who's looking for it.

I would strongly recommend (and this is coming from someone who
has been doing quite a bit of work from home lately) you start a local
SVN repository, just for your own sake (it's really freaking awesome!),
and maybe start using a tool like rsync or at least an SSH/webDAV
plugin for data transfer (if you can't connect to a remote repository).
ESPECIALLY since you're probably crossing networks and such to
get data to your client's machines (dunno, maybe you have a T1
straight to "client central" *giggles*).

You must be a "lone coder" sorta like myself... someday tho,
mark my words, you'll have to work with people who know what
they're doing, maybe even as part of a team, so knowing this stuff
is good if that ever happens (even if it's just the team part :).

I think the real fact of the matter is that CF is a language that
makes it easy to "just do it", and that's why you've got so many
people who never learn the "why" part, or whatever, till they have
to.  A general observation, not directed.

I love the fact that if my laptop took a flying leap off a tall building,
all my code (all 25675 iterations of it) would still be safe, and
instantly available from another workstation.

What's cool is if you got an old machine just sitting around in
your home -- Use it for a SVN repository!  Even if your clients
don't use VC, you will, and you'll LOVE IT! I swear!

Sorry for trying to convert you while saying it's ok to stay
how you are. I'm just a dork.  --
And I have issues - I deal with someone I'm on a team with
who is just dragging their feet on the whole "dev and test
local, upload to dev, THEN production" (we still don't have QA:).
So don't think I'm assuming you don't test local and all that jazz.
(my person who is lagging just moaned and moaned when I turned
off FTP, so it's linked sorta, in my head- whoops! My bad.)

'Probably cuz I'm a virgo-cusp, and you know how those cuspers are.
So if any negative vibes comes through, it's a personal issue, not
related to anything. (see, I suck, real doods don't let that happen).

Peace be with you (apologies for rehashing an age old issue, CF-T!)
& one love,
:Denizen