From: Bryan Stevenson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 12 June 2006 12:16
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Server firewall software

> Personally, I think all software firewalls are a POS.  If you want a
> decent firewall grab a hardware firewall, or set up a linux server and
> use ipchains.  For a dev server, it really depends on where you're
> hosting and what you're trying to protect it from.  Most shops will be
> fine with just using the firewall that comes on your DSL router (i.e.
NAT).

> Russ

Thanks Russ...and we already have it behind a D-Link Router...but I like
extra protection.  FYI ZoneAlarm catches ALL KINDS of stuff (including not
allowing info to leak out or viruses/trojans etc to phone home) that the
routers never catch.  Unfortuneately Zone Labs don't make a server OS
firewall software.

.....and now a  note to all others that may feel the way Russ does....I
respect your opinions but I don't want to hear them as I'm after answers to
my question
;-)

I am asking specifically about server OS firewall software.

Cheers

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.