> But that still doesn't solve Bryan's immediate problem, which is protecting
> his host. Having a dedicated firewall is a good thing, but it is not a
> substitute for appropriate host-based security unless you have a very, very
> small network. And, if you do have a very, very small network, you can
> create an IP security policy for a host in a few minutes (if you know how)
> or an hour (if you don't), then wait until next week or whenever to build a
> Linux server.

Can ya provide some insight here Dave....I took a look at the IP Security
Policy
GUI and honestly didn't know what I was looking at.  If it helps our setup is
simple (and yes the network is small...dev web server....file server...6
workstations.  We are using DSL with a D-Link router.

I'm just not sure what I should block/allow?  I assume I do it by adding my own
policies?

> Finally, there have historically been very few Windows OS exploits that
> couldn't be prevented using a host-based firewall (or even just shutting
> down vulnerable services that you don't usually need anyway).

Which is waht I like about Win 2003....it leaves it all off by default.

TIA

Cheers

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development