The save class files simple saves the java byte code of a given file.
As I understand it, it's the other option that caches only one
location for the file.  For example, on a multi-homed server (a web
server serving more than one CF site), if the index.cfm file for site1
is rendered first, then any calls for index.cfm on site2 will be
served site1's index.cfm because the server path for index.cfm was
cached as the path to site1.  Likewise, if no file was cached and
site2 was called first then the path to index.cfm would be cached as
that of site2.

This was a problem in v6.x because the caching value defaulted to true
(cache the path) and it wasn't available in the administrator.  You
had to edit the XML config file to change it.  The problem you're
describing sounds like that to me.