When asked during installation, choose "Standalone" (I think it's
checked off for you by default).  Standalone means that it is it's own
server, meaning there is no need to use IIS or Apache, etc.  I'd really
recommend using this setup, as it's the most simple setup.

I can't speak for performance, I don't run my own server, so I've never
had to learn, but our dev server is set up this way, and we've never had
a problem.