From: Ben Forta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 10:35 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Moving from CF Server Standalone to Multi Server ...

Rick,

Sounds like you are considering dedicated specialized instances, and I am a
big fan of this. There is one customer I work with who has several sites in
a single instances, like you do, but they have also created specific
instances for specific needs. They have one that just does mailing, it
receives requests from other instances, and process them. They have another
which executes report requests on scheduled intervals. And another that
builds Verity indexes when needed. These specialized instances require fewer
threads, fewer data sources, no RDS and debugging (which you'd never want
enabled on production servers anyway), and so on. That works very well. Of
course, you may also want separate instances for specific apps, but that is
a separate discussion.

--- Ben