Can anyone tell me why IE tries to scroll both ways ONLY when there is a
doctype present in the framed page?

I'm not sure why the doctype has an effect or then that it does make IE or
standards compliant, so maybe when the IE can parse the document is quirks mode
it has a different behavior.

The most likely the issue is that when the vertical scroll bar appears it
squeezes the horizontal space of the content inside the frame, thus forcing the
horizontal scroll bar to accommodate the content squeezed by the space for the
vertical scroll control.  If you can control the size of the space of the
container and the content so that it has a place holder for the vertical scroll
control so that the content does not get squeezed maybe this will help.

--------------
Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

---------
| 1 |   |
---------  Binary Soduko
|   |   |
---------

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning

Confidentiality Notice:  This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.