You can have the error emails sent to a Gmail or Yahoo mail account,
if you don't mind the security implications of doing that.

Using an external monitoring probe could help address the issue of the
database not being accessible, and can address the problem of other
major errors that might have even knocked out your mail server.
WhatsUp Gold is commercial software, but you can get by with simple
programming. Just set up a page in your site that performs a database
query and does some other essential checks. At the end of the page,
output a string such as "successful." Have a scheduled task on some
external server that hits that monitoring page every five minutes and
looks for the word "successful." If it does not find the word, send
out an E-mail. You get at most one email every five minutes. I have
done this and it works well. I usually have two pages, one .cfm and
one .htm. If the cfm page fails, I then check the .htm page for the
same key word to see if the Web server is responsive.

If you look around, you can probably find inexpensive site monitoring
programs or services that perform a similar function. WhatsUp Gold is
expensive, but you can configure it to perform actions when it detects
that something is wrong, such as rebooting the ColdFusion service.

Good luck,
Mike Chabot