I am on a panel of 61 radio hosts that selects the top 100 for a
national US Magazine in a niche music genre.    You might be
interested in how our system works in the "real world".

We pick the top 10 songs in order, giving them values from 1 to 10.
Each song gets scored 10 points for a "1 placing", 9 points for a "2
placing", 8 points for a "3 placeing" ... etc   totalling up the
points ranks the songs in order.

We score by putting the numbers 1 to 10 in checkboxes next to the
songs we want.    We're voting on songs for a top 100 but we only have
to pick 1 to 10.  In our case we can add in songs too if we want
subject to the following rules:

Songs must be on current release (i.e. no writing in old favourites).
No more than two songs for any artist

I dont know how that sits with your strategy but thats how we do it in
this niche music genre.  We have radio hosts picking the songs because
in our music style, a large porportion of the sales of CDs are through
bands at their gigs     Billboard magazine gets its chart rankings
from retail store sales figures (through a company called SoundScan)
but in our case those figures would only account for less than half
the total sales.  Bands just dont report their sales figures to
SoundScan so building a chart from their figures wouldn't give a
reasonable result except in the case of the biggest artists in the
world in our genre.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month