On 8/8/06, Tom Chiverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 August 2006 03:30, Dave Watts wrote:
> > I don't see how Adobe would make any money, since no one would have to
> buy
> > their product to use it. If I could deploy a license-free EAR from my
> free
> > developers' edition of CF, I wouldn't need to buy anything at all.
>
> I'm sure corporates would pay for support or early updates.

Or focus on certain aspects, perhaps.  I think Dave himself said that the
thing
worth the most money is time, right Dave?

That said, didn't RedHat try that and give it up as a bad idea ?

One man's wheel isn't always the best wheel for the job.

I see a future where it's possible to make money off of "free" stuff,
and yet have the "free" stuff move forward.

I could be proven wrong, life is weird like that, but I feel it's a model
that has potential, if it hasn't been proven already.

And I was thinking more about JasperIntelligence, when I was talking
jasper.  Seems like a "good idea"; a report "server".  Although it
/would/ be nice to be able to add newer versions of .jars easier...
guess there's a wishlist item, heh.  iReport is a good report builder,
and works cross-platform...  they've really been moving forward, all
separate, yet together. Or something like that, maybe.

I know there is recouping and whatnot that has to go on, and
I'm not suggesting that it's plausible, this stuff happening- Adobe
is pretty big to be switching tracks that way.  Just sounds nice,
I guess.
Maybe.

Costing money up front is part of what makes CF special.

Ah, what fun, what if's!  Coding is fun too though... hmmm...
:Denny