With one app, we use to use PGP (and the Digital Outlook CFX_PGP tag).  When
the credit card is entered it is encrypted using a public key.

 When the cards are needed (for a recurring billing system) the user must
upload the private key to access the credit cards.  The private key is deleted
when the user logs out (or if OnSessionEnd runs).

 We are using PayFlow Pro as the processor, but I don't know what the rates
are.  2.4% + .31 sounds pretty good for an Internet based transaction based on
my research.