Well in my case I'm getting to the point where I'll consider anything.
 I have a request for a service form on one of my sites, where users
can ask us to contact them about the service.  All it does is send us
their details.  It doesnt post any of the form results back to the
user, it doesn't post anything on the site.  But day afer day we get
dozens of emails about online poker.

I've followed this and similar threads, implementing every suggestion
and I'm pretty sure that no one is using our form as a defacto mail
server with bazillions of bcc addresses - i've limited that - any
field with an "@" in it apart from the email field means the whole
message gets dumped with no feedback ot the user.  I use CFINPUT to
validate the email field, meaning you can have only one "@" in it.
So I'm sure there are no additional emails being sent.

Nothing goes up on teh site, all that happens ( i think ) is that we
get these emails inviiting us to go play poker online and we delete
them.  One after the other.

It's nothing more than annoying, I think.

Or can anyone see a different and perhaps more sinister thing happening here?

If you want to see the form concerned it's at
http://hawkradio.org.au/goArticle.cfm?pid=148750

I have been reluctant to use Captcha style techniques up to now, but
i'm getting annoyed anough about these emails to think seriously about
using it now.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month