I for one am pretty impressed with how quickly they've got a major
repair done, and how they have kept customers in the picture through
that page, and the photos.

I think there are issues relating to redundancy and multiple
connections etc that need to be addressed, but given a big chunk of
thier business suddenly went dark, I thought their damage control and
reaction to the problem was pretty cool.

Long time internet users in Australia might remember the time years
ago when there were two internet connections across the Pacific where
most of the traffic from Australia went.  And a trawler dug up the
cable out of Melbourne.

Telstra, who at the time owned all the internet connections out of
Australia, tried to pretend nothing was wrong for days, even though
anyone using the internet knew that even their slow modems were
suddenly struggling to keep up with crippled snails.  Telstra
maintained for days and days that nothing was wrong, even when there
were newspaper reports that one of the two main undersea cables had
been broken.

I suppose Telstra figured they could get away with fixing it quickly
and quietly and no one woudl know any better.

I think HMS have shown a far better attitude, and would get much more
tolerance and cooperation from their customers as a result.

Disclaimer:  i have nothing to do with HMS, apart from having one of
my clients hosted there - in fact I'm a competitor in a minor part of
my business.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month