This may be a shot in the dark, but why is the "this" scoped variables
created during the application start?  Since these are more global
considerations, shouldn't they be put between the <cfcomponent> tag and the
first method?  Have you tried that?  I saw that you alluded to it.

<cfcomponent>

<cfset this.whatever = soemthing>

<cffunction name="">

Teddy