I do not quite follow that, probably from little knowledge of Reactor.  When
someone needs to build report, which in my experience is where more complex
SQL skills are needed, how does one do it with Reactor?  I thought Reactor
was good for creating what I'd refer to as the nitty/gritty queries such as
the simple selects, inserts, updates

I can think of many times where we had to move things to stored procedures
simply because if we attempted to do it in CF it was going to be too slow or
perhaps even eat up too many resources(direct result of the slowness
though).