On 8/27/06, Robertson-Ravo, Neil (RX) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Knowing SQL is a v.important part of the whole package. No excuse for not
> knowing a decent about of T-SQL.

LOL.

I've got a freakishly long, and irreparably inconcise draft response to
Aaron, but
I think I'll just create a blog, and post it there, if that's not a faux
pas.  It's long.
And semi "stream of consciousness"-ish.  Probably pretty weak, really.

Basically I say how reactor (still pre-beta) has Object Oriented Queries,
that
are pure Reactor, and thus port-able to various DBs, by definition.  More
than
just simple CRUD stuff!

And I said I don't think it's quite right how interwoven SQL & languages are
in general. I know I'd love it if there was an ORM/API that would use all
the
cool features of the various databases, Native when possible, emulated
where required.  Plus custom, coder-useful stuff ta boot...
Right now you need PL-SQL, T-SQL, not sure what postgress [P]SQL is
called (I usually pronounce postgree(?) wrong ;), along with mysql
(not sure what it's called off hand either, heh. MSQL?)...

I mean, sheesh.  Forget about just swapping DSNs the instant you use one!
(you better know the equivalent in the new dialect!  'cept fer ANSI, in
general,
of course ;)

Trouble is, stuff like this is intensive!  And the ORMs themselves aren't
easily switchable(generally)- reading the wikipedia entries was interesting.

Plus, each DB is geared for what it's geared for. Guess that matters, neh?

T-SQL... pshaw. PL's where the $$'s @!
(& did I mention that wikipedia ROCKS?)

Yeah, I'd say right now you pretty much have to knoqw SQL... but I foresee
change...  more general, and more specific; at the same time.

As usual. [=
:denny