While I don't know a lot about using java objects in CF, I know more
about java itself.  A static method is called on the class itself, not
the object that gets instantiated.  This is useful for tracking the
number of times an object gets instantiated and obviously for other
reasons as well.

So, for static methods, you do not need to call the constructor.
However, static methods only have access to static member data so there
is that limitation.  Since in CF it seems that you have to create a java
object to use it, there may not be a way to call static methods.
However, like I said I don't know a lot about using java objects in CF