I have a directory without an application file where there is a form
to register for an event.  I have a directory within that that has an
application file and that's set up to keep out people that aren't
logged in because it contains all the reports or other interactions
with the database.

I want to put a form in the protected area that will set a line of
text on the unprotected registration form.  The way that I see to do
that is to create an application file in the above directory which
houses the registration form, then set an application variable which
is read into the form.  I'm doing this so that the user doesn't need
me each time they want to adjust that line.   So, I have a few
questions:

- is this a good way to do this?

- if so, how do I write from one application to the other?  Do I just
have the form go to a file that is in the above application that
contains the form, have it set the line and then return?

- is this a treacherous way to go about including the info?  IOW,
when the CF server is restarted, will this data go away?  If so, we
might not know it went away and that would be a problem.  What other
ways would the application variable be lost?

I'm doing this to keep from doing a DB just to present that one piece
of information.  I can't do a cfinclude because the person is not
programming literate so I'm looking for other possibilities.

thank you.

--

Daniel Kessler

College of Health and Human Performance