> I have a directory without an application file where there is
> a form to register for an event.  I have a directory within
> that that has an application file and that's set up to keep
> out people that aren't logged in because it contains all the
> reports or other interactions with the database.
>
> I want to put a form in the protected area that will set a
> line of text on the unprotected registration form.  The way
> that I see to do that is to create an application file in the
> above directory which houses the registration form, then set
> an application variable which is read into the form.  I'm
> doing this so that the user doesn't need

Why not just write out to a 'includethistext.txt' file on the protected
form's action, ideally outside the webroot, but if all you need is
protection you can do it in the protected directory.

Then on the unprotected form, read that file in using CFFILE from the
location that you know you wrote it out to and then display it on the
unprotected form.

That way, if the application goes down, when it comes back up, it still
has the file to read from.

I feel I'm missing something in your explanation though.